Archive for May, 2020

I keep seeing this poll and that poll that the Democrats are thinking of replacing Joe Biden on the ticket for the nomination. This entire argument reminds me of the great debate on sports radio locally concerning the New England Patriots and 2nd year quarterback Jarrett Stidham.

Stidham was drafted last year as Tom Brady’s quarterback backup and once Brady signed with Tampa Bay, there was speculation that New England would sign one of the available QB’s out there from Cam Newton Jameis Winston or even trade up in the draft in the hopes of getting a new QB this year.

But Bill Belichick decided to stand pat. After all he had struck paydirt with a 6th round pick who turned out to be the greatest QB of all time, and two of his recent QB drafts had started for the Colts and 49ers last year so my not go with the young arm?

But the real question to me come down to: “How much better would the Patriots be in 2020 with an expensive free agent who would have to learn the system that Stidham has been training in for a year?”

I suspect the answer is, not much if at all.

And that brings us to Joe Biden.

There are plenty of reasons why it would be tough for Democrats to pull Biden post Tara Reade:

  • Overturning a series of elections
  • Upsetting vital black voters who turned out in force for Biden
  • Causing a divided convention
  • Risking an un-vetted nominee or worse Bernie Sanders

All of these are valid reasons for the Democrats to stand part, particularly when you see prominent democrat women saying that they thought Biden did it, but will vote for him anyways.

But beyond that the real question is the same one that the Patriots had to ask with Stidham: “Will a replacement do any better in the fall?”

In my opinion the honest answer to that question is: No.

The Democrats will lose just as badly with Biden as they will with anyone else, so they’d might as well stick with fast hands Joe. At least that’s where they are now.

As long as that is the Democrat equation, Joe Biden stays.

Governor Charlie Baker had originally announced that all nonessential businesses in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts would remain closed until May 4th.  That date was later postponed another two weeks.  Most of us in this state were hoping and expecting that when that date is finally reached things would rapidly return to normal  I was one of them.  My hopes were rudely squashed when I saw this article on social media: Baker: Mass. Businesses Closed Due To Coronavirus Won’t Be ‘Off To The Races’ On May 18.

Here is how Governor Baker describes his plans for the opening process:

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said that while he hopes some businesses will be able to resume operations soon after May 18, he added it will be a gradual process and not “off to the races.”

“There won’t be anyone firing a starting gun on May 18 and saying everybody’s off to the races, but we do hope certain types of businesses and workplaces will be able to begin resuming operations, under the guidelines established through this process, and based on the fact that we will have hit certain triggers, with respect to the status of the virus here in Massachusetts,” said Baker.

Instead  of the rapid reopening we were expecting it looks now like it will be a long arduous process. According this quote from Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito the process might not even begin on the 18th.

“There seems to be some with an understanding that May 18 is a magical date. May 18 is the date that we said the report of this advisory board will be released,” she said, adding “It doesn’t mean that the economy across our Commonwealth will just reopen. It’s just not possible.”

How arduous will the process be? Check out this quote from Governor Charlie Baker.

“In the coming weeks we’re prepared to have more concrete plans on what each phase of reopening will look like, where certain activities and industries fit into which phase, general business guidance about social distancing, personal protection, and cleaning protocols that all businesses will need to adhere to upon reopening, and industry specific guidance and protocols for reopening safely,”

If Governor Baker’s reopening plan proves to be as slow and torturous as it seems from this article I’m not sure how many businesses will be left to open.  How many people will have their livelihood destroyed for good?  I believe the economic carnage by a painfully slow process will be staggering.  I don’t believe the people of Massachusetts will stand by and let such a slow process play out.  A major protest took place on this past Monday with at least a couple thousand in attendance.  The protests will soon spread and become larger,  Hopefully Governor Baker will listen.

Rather than relying on a committee of experts to come up with a plan which will be implemented by bureaucrats I believe Governor Baker should just let the business owners and the people of  Massachusetts come up with their own plan.  Decentralized decision making is always far superior to mandates from bureaucrats

Let’s cut to the chase here

My “day” job is in a warehouse, it’s not a glamorous job and it doesn’t pay great but it’s been deemed essential. I’m regularly within six feet of others and while we are all required to wear masks and have our temps taken I’m expected to show up for work and do so to pay the bills

My wife is a registered nurse. She works in a nursing home. She is regularly in contact with sick people and at least one co-worker that she had been in regular contact with has had the virus. She is tested weekly, and is expected to show up for work and she does to pay the bills.

My youngest son works in a supermarket in the deli/fish department. At work he is in regular close contact with others. Today he is out with a fever (his covid test came up negative ) and because of an earlier quarantine has no sick days left. Once the fever is gone he is expected to show up for work and will do so to pay the bills.

Which brings us to members of the House.

The members of the house make more than my wife, my son and myself combined. They have jobs of great power, prestige and posistion and every two years beg us not only for those jobs, but for money to spend to secure those jobs for another two years.

Yet despite this they are unwilling to take the same risk my wife, my son and myself take regularly to make our living after begging us to have those jobs.

I’m sorry if you want to be our leaders and you’re not willing to take the same risk as a warehouse worker, a dell worker or a nurse then resign your office and make room for someone who is.

Last week I mentioned DaTechGuys’ Laws of media outrage which dictate how the media/left will act in any circumstance. This week we saw a story that applied both sides of DaTechguy’s 3rd law of media outrage which states:

The MSM’s elevation and continued classification of any story as Nationally Newsworthy rather than only of local interest is in direct correlation to said story’s current ability to affirm any current Democrat/Liberal/Media meme/talking point, particularly on the subject of race or sexuality.

The story? The murder of Calvin Munerlyn.

Calvin Munerlyn, a guard at a dollar store in Flint Michigan was shot to death when confronting a customer concerning wearing wearing a facemask. This would seemingly be a local story but it was suddenly elevated by those on the left as Stacy McCain reports:

“This is another Trump inspired murder,” one Twitter user declared. “This is what the rabid hosts on Fox and Trump have done,” said another. “A direct result of Trump’s cry to ‘liberate’ Michigan,” said yet another as the torrent of Trump-hating messages spewed forth.

And the critique was not confined to those without a blue check as Fred Guttenberg declared:

.@realdonaldtrump remember your crazy tweet to liberate Michigan? You and your incitement of your unstable base are responsible for this murder.

So you had a killing that was ready to be promoted to a national story as a Biden supporting blue check was on it, but you might note that rather than the tweet itself I have a quote of the original tweet which is now gone?

Why is that tweet gone? This photo from the abc12 story about the shooting is the big clue:

Larry Teague Jr., Ramonyea Bishop 

From the abc 12 story:

Three people are charged with the murder of a Family Dollar security guard in Flint, who was enforcing the store’s policy requiring face masks.

Two men remain at large while a woman has been arrested and is awaiting arraignment in the Genesee County Jail.

The male suspects are 44-year-old Larry Edward Teague and 23-year-old Ramonyea Bishop. Teague’s wife and Bishop’s mother, 45-year-old Sharmel Teague, has been arrested.

All three suspects are facing a charge of first-degree premeditated murder, which carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole if they are convicted.

If ONLY Mr. Munerlyn was killed by the right kind of people, say Trump supporting activists protesting the Governor of Michigan, then the left would make his name would be a household word in America and sympathy would be pouring in from all corners of the country.

But alas he was not so as predicted by DaTechGuy’s 3rd law of media outrage, the story remains a local one and those who once purported to care decided that Mr. Munerlyn murder was not worth their time, outrage or sympathy.

Unexpectedly of course.